Chelsea boss, Thomas Tuchel has commented on Saul Niguez’s display during Chelsea’s EFL Cup round of 16 victory over Southampton on Tuesday night.
Tuchel said he was pleased with Niguez’s performance for Chelsea against Southampton, adding that the midfielder has taken a ‘huge step’.
The 26-year-old has struggled to make an impact after arriving on loan from Atletico Madrid in the summer transfer window.
Chelsea defeated Southampton 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.
Kai Havertz and Che Adams scored the goals for their teams during normal time.
Recall that Niguez has only featured once in the Premier League for Chelsea so far this season and was hauled off at half-time following a woeful debut display against Aston Villa some weeks ago.
“It was a good match, it was a huge step in the right direction for him,” Tuchel told Chelsea TV after the match.
“I am happy. We thought maybe he [Saul] would be struggling with the intensity and thought about [substituting him after] 70 minutes, 75 [minutes], but he got better and better, had chances and shots.
We thought let’s keep him [on the pitch] and give him the minutes. It was a good step for him.”